terça-feira, 20 de novembro de 2018

Set and Setting - Character Classes (Landing Page)


Informal bit

Before going any further let me start by saying that what follows absolutely does not pass muster for what I consider an actual post but that with your, the reader’s, help this can be somewhat remedied. I’m churning the inkpot for something a darker shade of tangible at the end of the week. Until then, pray read on.

As the months pass me by, I keep being amazed at how incredibly adept I’ve proven at eluding both my higher cognition and a player base in pursuit of yet more rule structures. Must be this ‘enthusiasm’ thing I keep hearing about. It’ll be a couple of posts yet before I actually roll up the sleeves for the matter at hand, but it is already shaping as a practical next step to keep me off the streets gaming table: the gradual reinterpretation of different character life-paths and careers as distinct entries.

It stands to reason that the victory lap that is a landing page would be reserved for the end of a series, as might soon be the case with the Bones of Adventure, but for a couple of considerations: firstly, that my mind has difficulties with the concepts of closure and letting go; secondly, me figuring that for once I might take the chance to let in the faintest whiff of breathable air and foster some interaction on this cloistered blog: given as certain that I ought to lean into the different character classes at some point in the near future, it’s also true that I currently have no particular order nor table demand pulling my focus this way or that, inviting the thought that no harm would come from affording whoever gives my ramblings the time of day the chance to pipe up with a preference.

Associating this freeform polling to such a long-running string of future posts means it’ll enjoy the advantage of being valid for a long, long while, as a new reader or player seeing this for the first time six months from now could still plonk down some sort of worthwhile reply.

In case you’re wondering what hashdream propelled this idea, a significant part came from the all-too-modern concern with “Separating the Men from the bots”*. Taking the numbers at face value, I’ve pretty much cornered the pen-and-paper outdoorsmanship houserules market among slavic botnets. And southeast Asia seems ripe for the plucking, too, so a cat gets curious.

*(girls definitely allowed in the treehouse, the wordplay just wouldn’t fetch otherwise)

Slightly less informal bit

This won’t be anything too fancy, I'll just start by digging a small trench and progress further down one shovel-sweep at a time until the writing starts hitting rock, each write-up being meant to only brush the wide angle, inform a new player on what a given class is about and go a couple of levels deep at most, as doing more would mean committing my limited time allowance to things that may simply not be getting used anytime soon.

The whole thing will doubtlessly take a while and I can’t compromise with much beyond, when settling down to write up a character class, heading for the general direction of the one currently most voted for, as according to the precepts of digital democracy: one screen-name, one vote; multiple handles that I cannot in any way verify, multiple votes.

I’m not up for anything exotic at least before reaching the end of the PHB’s rope and, truth be told, the starting focus ought to be on the game’s core classes (Cleric, Fighter, Thief, Wizard), though conceding that part of the point of this post is that I can indeed be swayed by gently whispered sweet nothings.

Update:

Two months later a class write-up finally appears. Doves are released from the rooftops and children are christened with my impractical nickname as I expand this joint into almost a post.

Technical bit

Mechanicswise, the present edition does little that’s new and even less that’s good. Looking specifically at character mechanical complexity, the scion of the game’s ‘modern’ lineage started with Third exhibits a rather high density of impotent crunch: if it happens outside of combat, it’s probably not worth talking about, if it takes time, it’s probably a minute and nothing is so serious that it cannot simply be slept away. Build options are thankfully minimized, complexity has been downtuned and the aesthetic remains post-MtG high fantastic, though I could spell it given just four letters too.

It is a venereal truism that things you’re exposed to first often end up leaving a mark. Fourth edition was, for practically all intents and purposes, a different game but it's what I was weaned on and maybe my taste got just a tad bit spoiled (I remember using a “handbook” and a software builder to make my very first character). Looking back at older, simpler editions it all seems a little sparse by comparison. Characters, unless they’re spellcasters, grew in power numerically more often than not, with qualitative gains tucked away at the fringes of each class’s level structure, which is why I’d have a hard time considering play with a non-spellcaster in such a version of the game: apart from spells, the differentiators between classes are just too damn bare.

Since the start my whole noodling has straddled the line between being a faux-modern take on classic DnD and a faux-oldschool take on the current edition (i.e. a trap, in Ackbarian terms). The faux’ness itself ending up as the only element I could really settle on, I’ve done like real men do and avoided compromise for as long as possible, keeping everything modular. Now, sitting down to define character classes the feeling of being cornered looms, as I fear what follows is sure to paint my efforts firmly in either one corner of the ring or the other.

Alternated readings across editions have brought some clearness of thought, deliberations slowly emerging regarding where I’m going with this. On the one hand it is understood that modern DnD in general is very kitchen-sinky, on the other it is licit to point that previous iterations of classes were rife with corner-case flavouring that simply never materialized at the table.

To clarify the equation, a little spark of the new school moves my design efforts: I want mechanically rich, somewhat complex classes.

To muddy it comes the old school side of the silver piece: I want them to be grounded and visceral, avoiding the feel and texture of plate-mailed superheroes.

Since I’m a sucker for both having and eating, the result has me faced with what appears to be an orthodontic quest: to stab some rusted implants on the barren gummy plain utterly bereft of teeth known to us as the current edition.

Current Listing of Character Classes:

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário